CLARE SWAN EARLY LEARNING CENTER
On-Call, less than 30 hours per week
Responsible for providing quality education to infant and toddlers, with the goal of increasing the social competence, school readiness, and knowledge and pride in traditional Alaska Native culture and heritage. This position requires a person to effectively manage a sometimes chaotic environment while supervising simultaneous activities.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists in the implementation of plans to enhance the education, health, social and emotional growth in children and families served, and to provide opportunities for families to interact in positive ways, improve parenting skills, and empower themselves to create positive changes in their lives
- Assesses the physical, emotional, intellectual, social, and language needs of enrolled children with a variety of screening and observation tools
- Utilizes a variety of teaching strategies to meet educational and developmental goals and the physical, emotional, social, cultural, cognitive and language needs of enrolled children
- Utilizes appropriate discipline and guidance techniques such as redirection, acknowledgement of appropriate behavior, and setting acceptable limits
- Provides a healthy, safe and secure learning environment through the use of consistent limits, appropriate guidance techniques, and the development of an atmosphere of respect for children and adults
- Ability to maintain open, friendly, and cooperative relationships with families, to encourage program involvement, and to promote parent-child bonding and nurturing parent-child relationships
- Ability to promote feelings of security and trust in infants/toddlers and preschoolers by being warm, supportive, and comforting, and by establishing strong and caring relationships with them
- Ability to provide children with experiences and opportunities that allow them to develop curiosity, initiative, problem-solving skills, and creativity, as well as a sense of self and a feeling of belonging
- Ability to conduct developmental screenings of infants/ toddlers and preschoolers motor, language, social, cognitive, perceptual, and emotional skills
- Flexibility with respect to time and days able to work, as well as work tasks
- Demonstrates ability to support teacher in performing individual and group learning activities
- Monitors and assists in positive strategies to prevent aggressive behavior and to deescalate volatile situations
- Other duties as assigned
- High School Diploma or GED
- Infant/Toddler CPR/First Aid Certified
- Must provide copy of current TB test and physical
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the social, educational, training and cultural needs of the Alaska Native/American Indian community
- Continued employment is contingent upon a receipt of a satisfactory state and federal background and reference check.
- Child Development Associate Credential (CDA) Certified
- Two (2) years Head Start Experience
- Valid Alaska driver’s license and insurable under CSELC’s automotive insurance
Physically capable of lifting up to 50 lbs. intermittently, standing for long periods of time, stooping and bending, filling buckets with water, pulling mop buckets, vacuuming, stacking chairs, moving tables, filling the sand and water tables, etc.
Able to manage multiple stressful priorities simultaneously.
Hiring preference shall be given to eligible and qualified Alaska Native/American Indian applicants pursuant to P.L. 93-638 Indian Self Determination Act.
Hiring preference shall be given according to Head Start Performance Standard 1302.90 Personnel Policies (b) (6), “A program must consider current and former program parents for employment vacancies for which such parents apply and are qualified.”
The information provided in this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by incumbents within this job. It is not designed to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications and working conditions required of employees assigned to this job. Management has sole discretion to add or modify duties of the job and to designate other functions as essential at any time. This job description is not an employment agreement or contract.