COOK INLET TRIBAL COUNCIL, INC.
Shared Services Controller
Director of Finance
The Shared Services Controller is responsible for serving as a key member in the finance department; leading the planning, coordination, audit and financial reporting for assigned organizations (nonprofit and for profit) in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles. The Shared Services Controller will ensure processes are streamlined and efficient, prepare and analyze monthly and annual financial reports, oversee completion of the annual tax return(s) and the budget process, and ensure the general ledger is appropriately maintained and reconciled. The Shared Services Controller will oversee two Senior Accountants and be a mentor and coach for the designated Accounting processing staff.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee the daily operations of assigned organizations (shared services clients) accounting processes including accounts payable, revenue and accounts receivable, payroll, grant compliance, and overall general ledger.
- Prepare monthly financial reporting packages including but not limited to, financial statements, performance dashboards and budget to actuals variance analysis.
- Prepare ad hoc reporting as requested.
- Responsible for the timely compilation of the annual budget for assigned organizations.
- Manage workload to ensure that processing and closing deadlines are consistently met.
- Maintain documented system of accounting policies and procedures that support client operations, financial growth, sustainability, and compliance.
- Evaluates, recommends and implements changes to accounting system improvements, migrations, and modifications.
- Maintain the chart of accounts of assigned organizations.
- Monitor the timely completion of monthly balance sheet reconciliations.
- Research GAAP and tax law application for assigned organizations as needed.
- Coordinates the external audit for assigned organizations; preparing work papers and schedules as needed, as well as drafting the financial statements and footnotes.
- Coordinates the annual tax return preparation for assigned organizations.
- Maintain good working relationship with assigned shared services clients.
- Maintain confidentiality according to regulations, policies and procedures.
- Provide regular ongoing supervision to Senior Accountants, complete evaluations, conduct staff meetings, address personnel issues, hire new staff and provide ongoing training and development as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- In depth knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles, thorough knowledge of accounting procedures and experience preparing complex consolidated financial statements.
- Experience with general ledger functions and month-end/year-end close process.
- Must be able to effectively handle several projects simultaneously in order to meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with department management and staff, and to effectively communicate with granting agencies, regulatory bodies, and taxing authorities.
- Strong communications skills, both oral and written, with a particular emphasis on the presentation of financial material.
- Willingness to take ownership and work collaboratively as part of a team.
- Ability to identify errors and offer effective solutions.
- Self-starter, requiring minimal supervision.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or related field.
- Five years’ progressively responsible experience in accounting that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities or any equivalent combination of experience and education.
- Experience with complex consolidated financial statement preparation, including all statements, footnotes and management discussion and analysis.
- Experience preparing and analyzing operating, capital and cash flow proformas and budgets.
- Supervisory experience.
- Valid Alaska Driver License and be insurable under CITC’s automotive insurance, which requires a driver to be at least 21 years of age.
- Continued employment is contingent upon completion and receipt of a satisfactory state and federal background check.
- CPA designation.
- Public Accounting experience.
- Single Audit and grant compliance experience.
- FAR and cost accounting experience.
Hiring preference shall be given to eligible and qualified Alaska Native/American Indian applicants pursuant to P.L. 93-638 Indian Self Determination Act.
The information provided in this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by incumbents within this job. It is not designed to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications and working conditions required of employees assigned to this job. Management has sole discretion to add or modify duties of the job and to designate other functions as essential at any time. This job description is not an employment agreement or contract.