COOK INLET TRIBAL COUNCIL, INC.
Youth Empowerment Services (YES)
The Cultural Advisor position will provide Alaska Native cultural lessons and enrichment activities for the Alaska Native/American Indian youth who are enrolled in the CITC programs.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Engage Alaska Native/American Indian students in cultural lessons.
- Organize and implement relevant activities for K-12 students who are enrolled in the Anchorage School District.
- Assist CITC staff with ideas for integrating culture into lessons plans and units.
- Promote YES and other CITC programs within the school and community.
- Prepare reports by collecting, analyzing and summarizing information.
- Maintain youth confidence and protect operations by maintaining confidentiality according to regulations, policies and procedures.
- Provide cultural awareness workshops for CITC staff and participants as needed.
- Perform all related duties as assigned.
- Strong knowledge of Alaska Native community and cultural and experience working with direct services involving Alaska Native families.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to motivate others as needed.
- Knowledge of youth services within Anchorage School District.
- Knowledge of general community needs and applicable public resources.
- Ability to do basic publishing: flyers, newsletters, etc.
- Strong problem solving skills.
- Ability to organize and administer programs in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, youth, parents/families, officials, and the general public.
- Ability to work flexible schedule as needed.
- Demonstrated ability to be self-directed and work independently.
- Strong familiarity with youth and family issues.
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate multiple activities.
- Demonstrated ability to use MS Word, Excel, Power Point, and required data entry.
- Two (2) years’ experience in community outreach, public relations, educational programs, or relevant field.
- Continued employment is contingent upon receipt of a satisfactory state and federal background check.
- Valid Alaska Driver’s License and be eligible for CITC automotive insurance or willing to drive personal vehicle and be reimbursed for mileage.
Hiring preference shall be given to eligible and qualified Alaska Native/American Indian applicants pursuant to P.L. 93-638 Indian Self Determination Act.