COOK INLET TRIBAL COUNCIL, INC.
High School Math Teacher
Youth Empowerment Services (YES)
Regular, Full-Time (43-week position)
Under the supervision of the Program Manager, the Teacher will work with Alaska Native/American Indian students in various settings, both in and out of the classroom. This position is responsible for developing and implementing innovative, challenging, engaging, and culturally relevant material; providing classroom; individual and group tutoring; and participating in special events and extra-curricular activities. This position will be located at Bartlett High School in partnership with the Anchorage School District.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide instruction in the core subject of math (teacher will focus core instruction in the area of their certification such as advanced math, calculus and trigonometry) as well as career enrichment to Alaska Native/American Indian students.
- Provide individualized and small group instruction to address the needs of students.
- Use appropriate instructional techniques congruent with Alaskan Native learning styles.
- Develop positive working relationships with students and families; encourage family involvement in the educational process of each student.
- Collaborate with CITC counselor to develop individual student files to include demographics, attendance, in-class participation and other educational data.
- Support students in the use of a variety of CITC and Anchorage School District special programs, online classes, and computer based educational programs.
- Collaborate with CITC counselor to plan and participate in group cultural activities and special events/field trips scheduled throughout the academic year.
- Coordinate with CITC team members concerning in-school parent conferences and home visits; call for and conduct parent meetings as deemed necessary.
- Participate in CITC staff development training and attend applicable ASD in-service seminars and workshops.
- Follow ASD policies, especially regarding submitting grades, attendance, etc.; Teachers are CITC employees as well as guests in the schools and all relationships must be respected Maintain accurate and complete records of participant’s performance, attendance, and other pertinent information.
- Maintain confidentiality according to regulations and procedures.
- Perform all related duties as assigned.
- Excellent interpersonal skills combined with the ability to work with diverse groups of people with varying needs.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong problem solving proficiency.
- Demonstrated ability to work productively with a minimum amount of supervision.
- Proficient computer skills, including spreadsheet, word processing, and publishing programs.
- Become familiar with Anchorage School District (ASD) curricula including Q and be willing to design alternative, innovative and culturally responsive teaching methods.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the social, educational, training and cultural needs of the Alaska Native/American Indian community.
- Experience working with Alaska Native people, knowledge of their values and belief systems and ability to provide culturally competent services.
- Bachelor's degree in Education or core academic discipline from an accredited college or university.
- Ability to become provisionally certified within three (3) months from hiring.
- Experience with innovative and culturally responsive teaching methods.
- Continued employment is contingent upon receipt of a satisfactory report from a state and federal background check, in compliance with the 1990 Indian Child Protection Act.
- Current Alaska Teaching Certificate with High School Math endorsement.
- Highly Qualified Teacher status in area of assignment or ability to obtain Highly Qualified status in one (1) year from hire.
- At least three (3) years of experience working professionally with youth, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Hiring preference shall be given to eligible and qualified Alaska Native/American Indian applicants pursuant to P.L. 93-638 Indian Self Determination Act.
The information provided in this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by incumbents within this job. It is not designed to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications and working conditions required of employees assigned to this job. Management has sole discretion to add or modify duties of the job and to designate other functions as essential at any time. This job description is not an employment agreement or contract.