COOK INLET TRIBAL COUNCIL, INC.
Middle School Math Teacher
Youth Empowerment Services (YES)
Regular, Full-Time (43-week position)
Under the supervision of the Program Manager, the Middle School Math Teacher will work with Alaska Native/American Indian students in various settings, both in and out of the classroom. Responsibilities include developing and implementing innovative, challenging, engaging, and culturally relevant materials. In addition to classroom instruction, provide individual and group tutoring, in addition to participating in special events and extra-curricular activities.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide instruction in core subject such as reading, writing, and/or math (teacher will focus core instruction in the area of their certification) as well as career enrichment to Alaska Native/American Indian students.
- Use appropriate instructional techniques congruent with Native learning styles.
- Develop positive working relationships with students and families; and encourage family involvement in the educational process of each student.
- Provide individualized and small group instruction to address the needs of all students.
- Become familiar with Anchorage School District (ASD) curricula and be willing to design alternative, innovative and culturally responsive teaching methods.
- Support students in the use of a variety of CITC and Anchorage School District special programs, online classes, and computer based educational programs.
- Plan and participate in group cultural activities and special events/field trips scheduled throughout the academic year.
- Collaborate with the CITC Youth Advocate/Counselor to plan and participate in group cultural activities and special events/field trips scheduled throughout the academic year.
- Participate in CITC staff development training and attend applicable ASD in-service seminars and workshops.
- Coordinate with CITC team members concerning in-school parent conferences, call fo rand conduct parent meetings as deemed necessary.
- Maintains confidentiality according to regulations.
- Performs all related duties as assigned.
- Excellent interpersonal skills combined with the ability to work with diverse groups of people with varying needs
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as a contributory team member
- Strong problem solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to work productively with a minimum amount of supervision
- Strong problem solving proficiency
- Proficient computer skills, including spreadsheet, word processing and publishing programs.
- Bachelor's degree in Education or core academic discipline from four-year, accredited college or university.
- Current Alaska Teaching Certificate that qualifies for teaching in a middle school environment.
- Experience with innovative and culturally responsive teaching methods.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the social, educational, training and cultural needs of the Alaska Native/American Indian community.
- Experience working with Alaska Native people, knowledge of their values and belief systems and ability to provide culturally competent services.
- Continued employment is contingent upon receipt of a satisfactory report from a state and federal background check, in compliance with the 1990 Indian Child Protection Act.
- Valid Alaska Driver’s License and insurable under CITC’s automotive insurance, which requires the driver to be at least 21 years of age.
- Highly Qualified Teacher status in area of assignment or ability to obtain Highly Qualified status in one (1) year from hire.
- At least three (3) years’ of experience working professionally with youth, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Hiring preference shall be given to eligible and qualified Alaska Native/American Indian applicants pursuant to P.L. 93-638 Indian Self Determination Act.
The information provided in this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by incumbents within this job. It is not designed to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications and working conditions required of employees assigned to this job. Management has sole discretion to add or modify duties of the job and to designate other functions as essential at any time. This job description is not an employment agreement or contract.