COOK INLET TRIBAL COUNCIL, INC.
AP Supervisor, Accounting Technician, Payroll Supervisor, File Clerk
Assists the Controller and Director of Finance to plan, direct, manage and oversee the activities and operations of the payroll section in order to produce biweekly payroll in a timely manner; to provide necessary reconciliations, journal entries, and reports each month; and to effectively coordinate between payroll and human resources. Exercises direct supervision over payroll technician.
Duties and Responsibilities, including but not limited to:
Major Activities (Typical Duties/Responsibilities)
- Plan, prioritize, assign, supervise, and review the work of staff responsible for processing payroll.
- Participate in the selection of payroll staff; provide or coordinate staff training and evaluations; work with employees to correct deficiencies; implement discipline procedures.
- Reconcile all wage, tax, and benefit accounts in the general ledger; prepare W-2's as needed.
- Gather and compile information which will affect employee payroll checks including changes in salary, promotions, address changes, and tax dependent changes.
- Research and solve payroll problems; continually update and maintain payroll records and computer systems.
- Coordinate the receipt of information on new employees and changes to existing employees with the Human Resources Department.
- Proof and audit time cards and payroll records ensuring completeness and compliance with policies, procedures and regulations; make corrections and adjustments as necessary; notify departments and contracted not-for-profit organizations of all adjustments and corrections.
- Serve as a resource to answer employee inquiries regarding payroll information including total hours and paycheck discrepancies.
- Review of accounts receivable processing on a regular basis.
- Provide month end balance sheet reconciliations in a timely manner, including but not limited to, bank reconciliations, payroll liabilities, fixed assets, and prepaid expenses.
- Assist Controller with the annual budget process as well as periodic budget modifications.
- Review and maintain chart of accounts.
- Prepare and post journal entries.
- Coordinate with the Compliance Officer and GL Accountant III – Compliance to ensure accurate financial data.
- Prepare monthly allocations and related journal entries.
- Maintains confidentiality.
- Perform related duties and responsibilities as required.
Internal / External Relations
- All personnel within CITC
- Accounting Technician - Payroll
- Taxing authorities at the state and federal levels
- Workman’s compensation auditors
- Financial statement auditors
- Knowledge of payroll procedures processes and mandates.
- Knowledge of pertinent Federal, State, and local laws, codes and regulations.
- Principles of supervision, training, and performance evaluation.
- Strong sense of organization with the ability to set priorities to assure that deadlines are met.
- Knowledge of common methods of accounting and financial record keeping.
- Results oriented with the ability to respond to the needs of the department, the Company and other contracting organizations.
- Effective communicator both orally and in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to complete work in a timely and accurate manner.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with department management and staff, and to effectively communicate with regulatory and taxing authorities.
- Maintain confidentiality at all times while displaying a professional disposition.
- Self-starter, requiring minimal supervision.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting with related experience.
- Minimum of two (2) years’ experience in audits, general ledger work, or related field; or combination of four (4) years of related education and progressive experience with non-profit accounting.
- Continued employment is contingent upon satisfactory report from a state and federal background check.
Hiring preference shall be given to eligible and qualified Alaska Native/American Indian applicants pursuant to P.L. 93-638 Indian Self Determination Act.
The information provided in this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by incumbents within this job. It is not designed to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications and working conditions required of employees assigned to this job. Management has sole discretion to add or modify duties of the job and to designate other functions as essential at any time. This job description is not an employment agreement or contract.