COOK INLET TRIBAL COUNCIL, INC
Employment & Training Services Department (ETSD)
Mat-Su Valley TANF Coordinator
The Receptionist must be responsible and portray professional behavior for the purpose of working with the general public either by telephone or in person, in-house programs, outside agencies, federal and state officials, and other Native organizations. The main function of this position is to support the TANF Valley office.
Duties and Responsibilities, including but not limited to:
- Provide participants with excellent customer service, by greeting all participants and treating them with respect and dignity.
- Operate the telephone to answer questions, receive and/or transfer incoming calls and to take messages for unavailable staff.
- Provide information for prospective or existing participants interested in obtaining or maintaining services that the Employment & Training Services Department administers. Refer Participants to appropriate agencies/programs when necessary.
- Schedule participant appointments by phone or in person utilizing computerized calendars; reschedule appointments as necessary.
- Perform general clerical duties such as typing, writing, inputting information into the database, proofreading forms, and faxing documents.
- Responsible for distributing all incoming and outgoing mail, faxes and other office correspondence to appropriate personnel in a timely manner.
- Assist participants with necessary paperwork and documents.
- Responsible for cleaning and maintaining front lobby area to include, sanitizing toys, chairs and computer equipment at the end of each day. Vacuum Valley office lobby and front desk area daily.
- Responsible for equipment maintenance to include turning machines on in the morning and turning them off prior to leaving at the end of the day. Ensure that the printer and copy machine have sufficient paper. Inform responsible employee the need for maintenance and/or renewal of supplies.
- Review applications for completeness and general eligibility. Construct initial participant file, and distribute to Eligibility Technicians.
- Provide intake by performing data entry utilizing the 477 & Eligibility Information System (EIS) databases according to the recognized procedures and as directed.
- Schedule application interview appointments, send appointment notices, and update appointment calendar.
- Ensure all forms and applications for participants are current and available. Print all forms from SharePoint.
- Track daily visitor count on an excel spreadsheet, separating Knik Tribal Council tribal members from non-tribal members. Tally visitors each month and submit to TANF Coordinator and Knik Tribal Council at the beginning of each month for prior month’s visitors.
- Maintain confidentiality according to regulations and procedures.
- Maintain TANF Valley Events calendar to include coordinating and scheduling workgroups/workshops on Knik Tribal Council’s master calendar.
- File and retrieve records and reports according to alphabetical, coded, or other established file systems.
- Perform all related duties as assigned.
- Accurate filing skills.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work well with people in a professional manner.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and execute oral and written instructions.
- Must possess, understand, and utilize proper grammar, vocabulary, and spelling.
- Knowledge of office machines to include: copiers, facsimiles, postage meters and scales, computers, printers, and typewriters.
- Demonstrated ability to work a team environment.
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate multiple activities.
- Must be able to maintain composure in a very stressful and fast paced work environment.
- Be able to communicate with families in crisis with composure and compassion.
- Demonstrated ability to learn and apply program regulations that govern all employment and training services.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Two (2) years’ experience as a receptionist.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the social, health, educational, training, and cultural needs of the Alaska Native and American Indian community.
- Continued employment is contingent upon receipt of a satisfactory report from a state and federal background check.
- Receptionist experience in a social services agency or industry.
Hiring preference shall be given to eligible and qualified Alaska Native/American Indian applicants pursuant to P.L. 93-638 Indian Self Determination Act.
The information provided in this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by incumbents within this job. It is not designed to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications and working conditions required of employees assigned to this job. Management has sole discretion to add or modify duties of the job and to designate other functions as essential at any time. This job description is not an employment agreement or contract.